Friday 3 March 2017

Bento #159 - True Blue Doraemon Char Siew Rice

 I'm so happy! I finally made a true blue Doraemon charaben! Thanks to my friend who gave me the seeds of the butterfly pea plant. The natural blue dye is from this butterfly pea flower and it's such a lovely blue! 

I poured boiling water over 7-8 butterfly pea flowers (washed and clean because you are going to use the blue dye for cooking). Let the flowers seep in the the water (not too much, just enough to cover the flowers) for about 10 min and you will notice the water turning blue. Let the blue dye cool down and you can keep it in the fridge for future use. (Honestly I do not know how long you can keep the blue dye, just use it as soon as possible).

I steamed a little rice (because I only need a little blue rice) with the blue dye and I got my blue rice for Doraemon!

Our butterfly pea flower
Rayson's bento

Hubby's bento
Close-up of the Char Siew
For Char Siew, I prefer homemade black Char Siew, hence I don't use any Char Siew powder. Wanted to try drizzling the meat with some honey and pan frying thereafter to get some charred marks but....I'm running out of time!


Kai Sin


No comments:

Post a Comment